Leek soup is a soup based on potatoes, leeks, broth, and heavy cream. Other ingredients used may be salt and pepper, and various spices.
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 large leeks, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 900ml (1 1/2 pints) chicken stock
- small handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bouquet garni
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- To make the soup, melt the butter in a large soup pot, then add the chopped leeks and garlic and cook until soft and wilted.
- Next, add the potatoes, stock, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Process in batches, in a blender or processor until smooth.
- Reheat and serve.